The night before we left the states I was feeling the familiar scratchy throat and congestion of a doozy of an upper respiratory infection that was going around. I started sucking down Emergen-C drinks and Alka-Seltzer Cold. The plane ride was miserable with a cold. The first day in Beijing was miserable with a cold and a smoggy haze. We could actually feel the air we were breathing and it left behind a gross taste and a smell that seems burned into the linings of our nasal passages.
We're using saline spray like crazy, but Jai's nose is bleeding now, alarmingly, even though we don't venture out except to do paperwork. I heard one of the other moms say she's so grossed out by what blows out of her nose. I second that. I'm using Flonase (thank goodness that prescription came up for refill the day before we left, or I would never thought to bring it). The respiratory bug never got bad enough to knock me down (or perhaps that's due to days and days of adrenaline), but the effects are lingering in this haze. The forecast said "clear" today, but we never did find the sun.
I hope the other families got where they needed to go. Their kids' orphanage is a 2-3 hour van ride from here, but the highway was closed due to low visibility. From smog.
No comments:
Post a Comment